A Volunteer Organization
Respite Care Atlanta is a volunteer-driven respite program designed to support caregivers and their loved ones in a safe, caring and comfortable atmosphere. We seek volunteers of all ages to provide families with an affordable, community-based, social-recreational program option for respite care. A virtually all-volunteer staff is the driving force behind a congregational respite program and they bring energy, enthusiasm
All volunteers must complete an application, background check, orientation and required training to serve our families. Bring your ideas and abilities to help us achieve our mission and more!
- Arts and Crafts
- Communications/Social Media
- Dietary Nutrition
- Education and Training
- Event Planning
- Family Counseling
- General Office/Clerical
- Grant Writing/Fundraising
- Health and Fitness
- Program Planning
Learn more about volunteering at our upcoming information Sessions:
- April 13, 2020
- May 11, 2020
- June 8, 2020
All sessions are from 10:00am – 11:00am and are held at Youth Center of the
Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church,
2715 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305
Contact Lola Battle for more info:
Seeking a part-time Respite Care Atlanta Program Coordinator, 20 hours, located at Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church.
Join a small staff providing care to those with mild to moderate cognitive impairment. Coordinator will learn all facets of daily operations as back-up to the Director. Must have proven leadership and office skills as well contagious enthusiasm for working with volunteers and families. Information: Wendy Liverant, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wendy Liverant, M.A., M.B.A.
Wendy joined Respite Care Atlanta in Spring, 2018, after 2.5 years in Resident Relations at an Assisted Living/Memory Care community in Suwanee, GA. She earned her M.A. in Gerontology from Georgia State University and has applied training in dementia and dementia care practices. She has worked in Adult Day programs, providing both administrative, training and activity support, and facilitates a dementia caregiver support group. Her interdisciplinary background includes career skills and experiences in financial management and financial planning. She is passionate about mobilizing community resources to address a growing need for adult respite programs that offer caregivers time to relax and renew the spirit while providing social-recreational engagement for their loved ones with dementia.
Our Board of Directors
Mary Caroline Cravens
10 Things to Know About Volunteering
- Volunteers DO NOT need prior exposure to individuals with dementia.
- They do need patience, compassion, and a heart for serving others.
- There is no age limit for volunteer service; physical limitations can be accommodated.
- Volunteers can serve weekly,
bi-weekly, or monthly.
- We ask for a minimum commitment of two consecutive months but understand unforeseen events occur.
- Team training is periodically offered onsite and supplemented through email communication.
- Immersion is the best way to learn about Respite Care Atlanta roles and operations.
- Respite Care Atlanta is a volunteer-driven social-recreational model of care.
- Our participants must meet eligibility guidelines before admittance. This helps ensure individual needs can be sufficiently met by our volunteer staff.
- There are many roles to perform at Respite Care Atlanta:
- Companions Arts & Crafts Special Events
- Lunch Servers
- Community Outreach
- Volunteers whose role extends through the lunch hour are provided lunch (caterer offers only one lunch option).
- Respite Care Atlanta is open to the public residing in the community.
- Caregivers are responsible for providing transportation to/from the program.
- Our official schedule of operations (volunteers may start earlier/end later):
- Monday & Friday: No programming but open for administrative assistance
- Tuesday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Wednesday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Thursday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Get in Touch With Us
We are located at:
Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church
2715 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30305